Thursday, November 27, 2008

homeward bound

I'm sitting in the lounge in Nairobi. The sun is going down. Out the window, there is a world of infinite events, happening to a much less than infinite amount of people. How do I feel? Small. Waiting in an airport for a connection can be very tedious, boring etc. But its also a good space to reflect. Its like a stopping point in between two journeys. So, Nairobi separates me from my life in Malawi and my life in Toronto. How do I feel? Weird.

There are few places that I would ever call home. Weirdly enough, I would call Malawi home. Its strange to say, but there it is. Perhaps its a result of only staying in some place for 10 months, a result of always being on the move, of being struck with new sensations, stimuli, experiences, and learning every day. Maybe if I stuck around longer, I'd be feeling homesick for Canada, that Malawi would be turn into a routine like everything else.

Though, my life in Malawi, was pretty routine. Get up, go to work, come home, cook, etc. Maybe, it's easy to look back at something and see it more fondly than it was. Then again, its easy to look back and see it for being worse.

I'll miss Malawi. I already do. As my buddy Graham said, "this is good living." it really is. Okay, reflection is over. Time to look ahead. Time look forward. Hello Canada.

No comments: