Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I 'kneed' to get better...

Sunday started as an ordinary day. My plan was to go to church, and then over to the golf club where our work was having a social gathering. I had Jeffrey in tow today. When I got to the golf club I found everyone sitting in a small room staring at the front. Apparently we were having a talk about something. Finally, the director walked in with a woman and they started talking about HIV/AIDS. I had no idea we were talking about it, and since I don't speak Chichewa, I still have no idea what was said. I just sat there and watched, but I think the whole point was to keep people in marriages faithful, as a means of preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS.
After the talk we all went outside to play sports. I was playing football (soccer) with everyone and was doing pretty well. I got the ball, and zigged, then zagged, actually managed to dribble by a few people. I was fast. Light as a feather. I was a pheonix rising from the ashes... and then BOOM!. I felt my knee cap kick out of place. I felt it dislocate and then pop back into place as I collided with one of my colleagues. I limped off the field and then had to sit down as I felt faint. The pain was excrutiating. Imagine having you insides turned upside down and twisted, hot coals applied to all parts of your body, having your knee poked with a thousand sharp knives and burned with a quadrillion hot irons, and...well it wasn't that bad but it still hurt a lot. Anyway, to shorten the story, right now, I'm incapacitated, went to the doctor. It looks okay but I'm still limping around. The doctor was actually inside the military barracks which was kind of cool to see. I was even saluted. Well, actually, I think the doctor was but I was with him, so it was still kind of cool. I had x-rays and the doctor thinks it will be okay. Thinks there is no muscle damage. Anyway, pang'ono pang'ono (little by little), we'll see how it goes...

No comments: