Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh Canada!

originally written July 8, 2008

We stood on the beach, a bunch of overseas volunteers, arms linked, sand between our toes, surrounded in darkness.  Two of our group were hunched over mortars trying to light fireworks.  The rest of us were giddy with excitement.  There is something about innocent immature fun that everyone enjoys.  One of us started singing.  The rest joined in.  Our voices are not good.  To be honest, they're bad.  I'm sure someone had a good voice, but they were drowned out by the rest of us myself included.  You know, back in Canada, you only hear the national anthem at hockey games, or when you were in high school.  But standing on that beach, singing my guts out, I was proud to sing it, proud to be a Canadian.  The national anthem never sounded so good to me.  Being in a strange land, far away from home, but still linked somehow...

Every once in a while, here in Malawi, you'll encounter someone with a Mountain Equipment Co-op backpack.  Or a bag with a Maple Leaf stitched into it.  Even other ex-pats often comment... "there is something about you Canadians.  You guys never seem to get ruffled"  I remember talking with one british couple who owns a backpackers in Malawi.  They said, "you know, if Canada wasn't so cold, we'd move there after here.  Its just full of great people."  And you know what?  It is.  Canada is a great country.  Sure we have our problems, Sure we can be better, but I'm proud to be from the land of poutine, boring but good government, maple syrup, big sky country, rocky mountains, great lakes, freezing winters, blazing summers, lacrosse, veterans, english and french (though to my embarrassment, my french is horrible), tolerance, overt politeness (ever notice how WE apologize when someone steps on OUR feet?) and though we didn't invent it, we certainly put our stamp on it, hockey.

So to my fellow Canadians, I miss you.  I love you.  Thank you for being you which has allowed me to be me.  God Bless.  Happy Canada Day!

1 comment:

KP said...

Awww, Happy Canada day to you too! We miss you!!